Please join us for the SPJ Region 4 & 5 Conference 2016, "Looking Back, Moving Forward."
Reconnect with colleagues, and attend cutting-edge panel discussions that cover a variety of topics -- from the latest technology and tools for journalists to diversity, sharpening your skills, and more.
> Opening reception with a special Job Hunt 2016 session for students.
> Keynote speaker, TBA, with separate Mark of Excellence award events for Region 4 and Region 5.
> SuperSession on the debate over body-cam and dash-cam video.
> Conference panels on four tracks:
● Sharpening Your Skills, with a focus on covering heroin, global news of local importance and lead in water supplies.
● Tools & Technologies, with sessions on drones, virtual reality and Google tools.
● Diversity Matters, with advice on how to avoid profiling, find precise language and cover police vs. community tensions.
● History in Journalism, with sessions related to the 45th anniversary of the Kent State University shootings, the 50th anniversary of the Freedom of Information Act and the 100th anniversary of the Pulitzer Prizes.
Friday, April 1
- 4-6 p.m. – Registration
- 5-7 p.m. – Opening reception
- 7 p.m. – Student gathering at Clifton pizza parlor
- 8-9 a.m. – Breakfast
- 9-10:15 a.m. – SuperSession (possibly with two concurrent sessions)
- 10:30-11:45 a.m. -- Breakout session - Four concurrent sessions
- Noon-1:20 p.m. -- Lunch with keynote address
- 1:30-1:50 p.m. -- Two concurrent MOE award events
- 2-3:15 p.m. -- Breakout sesson - Four concurrent sessions
- 3:30-4:45 p.m. --Breakout session - Four concurrent sessions
Breakfast and lunch on Saturday is included in the registration fee.
For special requests related to meals or other needs, please contact conference registration coordinator Ginny McCabe at email@example.com. For other questions, please contact Region 4 Director Patti Newberry at firstname.lastname@example.org, or check the conference website at www.spjspringforward2016.com for updates.
To join or renew your SPJ membership, visit https://www.spj.org/joinapp.asp. A professional membership is available for $75 for one year. A student membership is $37.50 for one year. (Other membership rate options are available.)